William E English Foundation
The William E. English Foundation provides below-market-rate office and program space for non-profit social service organizations that serve Indianapolis residents.
The English Foundation was established in 1932 with proceeds from the will of Captain William E. English (1850-1926). It is a supporting organization to The Indianapolis Foundation.
The directors of the English Foundation constructed the English Foundation Building in 1953. The building provides over 60,000 square feet of office space for its tenants at approximately two-thirds the cost of comparable commercial buildings, allowing thousands of dollars annually to be to be available for program services rather than for office rental costs
The facility houses the offices of Central Indiana Community Foundation, The Indianapolis Foundation, the English Foundation, and thirteen charitable service organizations, including:
- Arthritis Foundation, Indiana Chapter
- Child Care Answers
- Day Nursery Association
- Family Service of Central Indiana
- Gennesaret Free Clinic
- Happy Hollow Children’s Camp, Inc.
- Indiana Association of Rehabilitation Facilities, Inc.
- Indianapolis Legal Aid Society, Inc.
- Indianapolis Parks Foundation
- Lacy Leadership Association (LLA)
- Momentive Consumer Credit Counseling Service of Central Indiana, Inc.
- Social Health Association of Central Indiana
- Techpoint Foundation
- YMCA of Greater Indianapolis, Inc.
- YMCA Urban Mission
For more information contact Greg Lynn, Vice-President - Real Estate & Facilities, Central Indiana Community Foundation, 615 N. Alabama Street, Suite 119, Indianapolis, IN 46204.
e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org direct phone line 317-631-6542 x 182
About Captain William E. English
William E. English was a visionary philanthropist in the Indianapolis community in the early 1900s. Upon his death in 1926, and his wife’s death in 1932, The Indianapolis Foundation, an affiliate of Central Indiana Community Foundation (CICF), inherited the entire English estate.
In his will, Mr. English made a provision that allowed for the construction of a building for Indianapolis organized charities. The English Foundation would, in William E. English’s words “…become and remain forever the headquarters of Indianapolis organized charity…” The English Foundation Building at 615 North Alabama Street was built in 1953 to fulfill his dream.
Today, the building carries on his vision as it provides office space for charitable community service organizations.