Indianapolis Artist Bridge Loan Fund
A Project of the Herbert Simon Family Foundation
The Indianapolis Artist Bridge Loan Fund is an opportunity provided by the Herbert Simon Family Foundation to support local artists and creatives in accessing funding to realize contracted projects that are for public benefit.
The goal of the fund is to help local artists, creatives and collectives develop their careers and complete works at larger scales that otherwise might not be feasible without access to capital.
Funds are intended to “bridge” the gap between when the artist has to make these initial expenditures and when they can invoice the client for progress payments.
Program details & Eligibility
- The fund will provide no-interest financing, up to 50% of the total contract value.
- Minimum loan: $1,000
- Maximum loan: $25,000
- Terms of loan repayment will be negotiated on a case-by-case basis.
- Funds must be used for expenses directly related to completing the contracted project: for example: purchasing materials, renting space or equipment, taking out required insurance, hiring labor, etc.
- Applicants may be individual artists, creatives, or collectives that are based in Central Indiana (Marion, Boone, Hamilton, Madison, Hancock, Shelby, Johnson, Morgan or Hendricks counties).
- Applicants must be at least 18 years old.
- While applicants must reside in Central Indiana, the contract work is not restricted to Central Indiana.
- Projects are open to all art forms, including visual arts, performing arts, music, interdisciplinary arts, literary arts, etc.
- Projects must be for public benefit.
- For example: a commission inside a private home is not eligible.
The program will prioritize artists identifying as one or more of the following: BIPOC, LGBTQIA+, women, or persons with disabilities.
To receive funds, a signed contract for the work must be in hand and submitted.
- A signed contract can be submitted with the application, or can be submitted at a later date if not complete at time of application. If the contract is not yet complete, please submit a document outlining the current state of contract negotiations.
- Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, subject to the availability of funds.
- Funding decisions will be made monthly.