The Indianapolis Immigrant Legal Services Fund
This program is administered by The Indianapolis Foundation. The mission of the Indianapolis Immigrant Legal Services Fund is to provide equitable access to legal support and representation to immigrant Hoosiers in Marion County.
Grantmaking will prioritize organizations providing prevention and/or intervention immigration services. Prevention services can include but are not limited to, filing Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) applications, applications to naturalize as a U.S. Citizen (N400), applications for employment authorization (i765), etc. Intervention services can include but are not limited to providing removal defense before an immigration court, providing legal defense during bond hearings, providing assistance in seeking asylum or withholding of removal, etc.
Who can apply?
- Registered 501(c)3 organizations.
- Organizations that have partnered with a registered not-for-profit fiscal agent.
- Priority will be given to organizations that demonstrate a strong record of providing high-quality legal representation to immigrant Hoosiers navigating USCIS processes, detained immigrants, and/or immigrants facing removal.
- Organizations must have licensed attorneys on staff with immigration law experience of at least two years or more.
- Organizations must demonstrate that all professionals (attorneys, social workers, etc.) involved in providing services have the appropriate professional licenses and are in good standing professionally.
- If serving detained individuals, the organization should demonstrate the ability to consult with and represent clients in area detention facilities.
- Commit to community engagement and to building power in communities impacted by immigration enforcement
Grants award range from $50,000 to $100,000
Focus on efforts including but not limited to:
- Providing assistance with USCIS applications. For example supporting with DACA, N400, and i765 applications.
- Providing removal defense before an immigration court
- Providing assistance in seeking asylum or withholding of removal (affirmative or defensive)
- Providing legal defense during bond hearing
|June 26, 2023
July 24 , 2023
|Aug. 18, 2023
All grant recipients will be required to submit reports to The Indianapolis Foundation which will be made available to the City for review. Grant reports will be provided with award notification.
SUBMIT your application BY 5 p.m. on July 24, 2023
In May of 2021, the Indianapolis City Council approved Fiscal Ordinance No. 9-2021, which approved the appropriation of funds to pilot the Indianapolis Immigrant Legal Services Fund for Hoosiers who are seeking support through the immigration process or those at risk of deportation.