Grants support transportation, health, independence and cultural opportunities for seniors.
More than 30 senior-serving not-for-profit organizations will receive a total of $746,566 in grants from Central Indiana Senior Fund, a special interest fund of Central Indiana Community Foundation (CICF). The Senior Fund advisory board selects organizations that alleviate barriers and create opportunities for a growing senior population in Central Indiana.
Senior Fund focuses its support on organizations and projects that align with one or more of the Fund’s priority areas, indicated by research as the areas of need for the aging population:
- basic needs – food, transportation and shelter
- health and wellness – illness prevention and overall wellness
- living environment of choice – affordable housing, home care and safety
- life-affirming opportunity – programs that utilize talents and increase social interactions among seniors in Central Indiana.
Among the 33 total organizations receiving funding from Senior Fund are:
- Indianapolis Legal Aid Society ($40,000)—for free legal services to approximately 200, low-income Central Indiana seniors facing situations such as financial exploitation, consumer protection, landlord/tenant matters, code violations and end-of-life issues.
- Shepherd’s Center of Hamilton County ($25,000)—will support Reaching Resources, which connects seniors with programs and services to improve their quality of life, prevent isolation and help maintain independence. The program, launched earlier this year with seed funding from Legacy Fund, a CICF affiliate, aggregates up-to-date information about senior-serving programs throughout Hamilton County making it easy for seniors to get the help they need with one call to one place.
- Johnson County Senior Services ($25,000)—for EXTRA Mile, which provides free, door-to-door transportation for medical and non-medical appointments in the mostly rural Johnson County. Funding will expand services for 200 more seniors.
Central Indiana Senior Fund 2017 Grants
|American National Red Cross||Home Fire Preparedness & Relief for Central Indiana Seniors||$15,000|
|Butler University||Music First: Researching non-pharmacological interventions for dementia treatment||$25,000|
|Cancer Support Community – Central Indiana, Inc.||Support services for seniors with cancer and their families||$25,000|
|Christamore House||Christamore Seniors Program||$25,000|
|CICOA Aging & In-Home Solutions||Annual support||$40,000|
|Dance Kaleidoscope||Sharing My Story – Seniors with Alzheimer’s stories expressed through dance||$6,000|
|Edna Martin Christian Center||Martindale Brightwood Senior Legacy Project||$25,000|
|Fay Biccard Glick Neighborhood Center at Crooked Creek||Recycled Teenagers Senior Program||$17,500|
|Fletcher Place Community Center||Golden Age Program – nutritional food for seniors||$5,000|
|Gennesaret Free Clinic||Dental Care for Vulnerable Marion County Seniors||$20,000|
|Hamilton County Area Neighborhood Development, Inc.||Home Repairs & Mobility Assistance||$25,000|
|Heritage Place of Indianapolis, Inc.||Combating Social Isolation, Poverty and Obesity in Older Adults||$40,000|
|Indianapolis Chamber Orchestra||Creative Aging through music||$3,200|
|Indianapolis Housing Agency TRUST Corp.||Senior Communities Housekeeping Program||$25,000|
|Indianapolis Legal Aid Society, Inc.||Legal Aid for Low Income Seniors||$40,000|
|Indianapolis Neighborhood Housing Partnership (INHP)||Essential Home Repair Loan Program||$25,000|
|Indianapolis Parks Foundation||Indy Parks Seniors on the Move||$20,000|
|Johnson County Senior Services||Transportation services for seniors||$25,000|
|Martin Luther King Community Center||Senior Enrichment Program||$25,000|
|Meals on Wheels of Central Indiana||General operating support||$25,000|
|Morgan County Connect||Transportation services for seniors||$25,000|
|NeighborLink Indianapolis Foundation||Five Year Sustainability and Growth Program||$25,000|
|PrimeLife Enrichment, Inc.||Marketing/outreach||$20,000|
|Shepherd’s Center of Hamilton County||Reaching Resources – case management services in Hamilton County||$25,000|
|Society of St. Vincent de Paul||Home delivered groceries||$25,000|
|Southeast Community Services||Florence Fay School Senior Apartments Activities Program||$25,000|
|The Athenaeum Pops Orchestra, Inc.||Musical outreach program||$5,000|
|The Salvation Army||Services and permanent housing for senior survivors of domestic violence||$25,000|
|Tmp Enterprises (Joy’s House)||General operating support for adult day services||$40,000|
|United Way of Central Indiana||Winter Assistance Fund||$10,000|
|YMCA of Greater Indianapolis||Ransburg YMCA Active Older Adults Program||$24,866|